Monday, August 6, 2012

J.Gumbo's (7/114)

Tiffany needed to trek over to the undergraduate library today to return some DVDs so we decided to go a bit further than our usual green street raid. We decided to go to J. Gumbo's, a cajun  inspired restaurant near Krannert Center.


The menu on their door didn't list any prices so we walked in expecting it to be really expensive, however, it wasn't that bad with all items at $6.50 for meat in a bowl of rice!

Everything is pre-made so when you order you get it super fast! You can choose if you want to put it in a Po' boy or over rice, you can even add 1$ to put it over jambalaya!

Every menu item had interesting names and we had no idea what to order! The staff were super nice and we were allowed to try the different flavors! Yanfen and Tiffany tried almost every flavor!












In the end, Tiffany settled on the Voodoo Chicken over brown rice and Yanfen got the Bourbon Street Chicken with white rice.

The Voodoo Chicken
The Bourbon Street Chicken

 Final Review

 Environment

 The restaurant was decently crowded when we entered. It had a very homey, "truck-stop" atmosphere with everyone being super friendly! When the other customers noticed our confusion, they were very eager to give us their advice and tell us about their favorite foods!

The place where we sat was kind of dark, making our pictures look funny,but it would be nice and cozy for a date! Sharing the food is also highly recommended if you are on a date!

 

 

 

Bourbon Street Chicken - Yanfen

Taste 7/10  Price 8/10  Fullness 11/10
Since I tried everything on their menu, I can safely say that this was my favorite dish. The chicken was very tender and had a sweet flavor. I wished that I had gotten more rice since the chicken was soupy and greasy. Overall it was very yummy!

I wasn't even close to finishing my meal. I took it home with me and had leftovers for two more dinners!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Voodoo Chicken - Tiffany Taste 7/10  Price 9/10  Fullness 11/10



Let me tell you that this voodoo chicken is HOTTT. I love spice, and I can eat spicy like no bodies business , and this actually got to me. On a spicy scale I'd rate it 7/10, I could feel the heat in every bite, but not enough to totally overwhelm me. The chicken itself is a bit over seasoned, and the sauce was a spicy tomato. It kinda reminded me of a spicy jerk chicken (Jamaican style!). I got this over rice, and I wish that there was a bit more rice to chicken ratio, since there was so much sauce and nothing to adsorb it. There was also a slice of garlic bread which was pretty good.  It was extremely filling, and totally worth the cost, I ate the rest for dinner! If I came here again, I would definitely take it back and cook some more rice, and make this last for awhile.

J. Gumbo's on Urbanspoon


Price Check

J Gumbo's:

Tiffany: $7.27
Yanfen: $7.07

Overall:
Tiffany: $53.00
Yanfen: $74.60

No comments:

Post a Comment